“When trials come, remember that they are sent for your good. . . . When trials and tribulations come to you know that they are sent in order that you may receive from the Lord of glory renewed strength and increased humility, so that He may safely bless and support and uphold you. In faith and with the hope that “maketh not ashamed,” lay hold of the promises of God. . . . All experiences and circumstances are God’s workmen whereby good is brought to us. Let us look at the light behind the cloud.” “Our happiness comes not from what is around us, but from what is within us; not from what we have, but from what we are.” My Life Today page 185.5
The passage offers several valuable lessons and insights:
- Purpose of Trials: Trials and difficulties in life are not random or meaningless events. Instead, they are sent for our good. This perspective encourages us to view challenges as opportunities for growth and learning rather than as purely negative experiences.
- Renewed Strength and Humility: Trials are described as instruments through which we can receive renewed strength and increased humility. They can teach us important life lessons, build resilience, and help us recognize our need for God’s support.
- Faith and Hope: The passage encourages us to maintain faith and hope in God’s promises, even in the midst of trials. Believing in God’s goodness and His ability to bring good out of difficult situations can provide comfort and strength.
- Positive Perspective: It emphasizes the importance of looking for the positive aspects in challenging circumstances. By focusing on the “light behind the cloud,” we can find hope and optimism even when life seems difficult.
- Inner Happiness: The passage reminds us that true happiness doesn’t solely depend on external factors like possessions or circumstances. Instead, it comes from within—from our inner state of mind and heart. Cultivating qualities like contentment, gratitude, and inner peace can lead to lasting happiness.
In summary, the lessons to learn from this passage include the idea that trials have a purpose in our lives, that we can find strength and humility through them, and that our outlook and inner qualities play a significant role in our overall happiness and well-being. It encourages us to maintain faith, hope, and a positive perspective in the face of adversity.